Sunday, September 30, 2012

31 Day Challenge - Day 1: Red

So here we are. Day 1. For my red nails, I decided to try a technique that I haven't ever used before, Saran Wrap Nails. I wasn't quite sure how it would turn out, since I've never tried it before, and oftentimes that leads to disaster. However, this turned out exactly how I was hoping it would!



I started with one of my all time favorite fall nail polishes, Sephora by OPI I'm With Brad.


This came in the Glimmer Wonderland set I got for Christmas last year, but I'm pretty sure it's part of the permanent line. 

This is a gorgeous black with super fine red shimmer in it. It looks almost brown, which is the one nail polish color I'm not quite a fan of, but the red shimmer stands out in direct sunlight. The formula is great. It's opaque in two coats, and it glides on smoothly.

Here's a bottle shot, in which you can see the red shimmer more easily:


After that was completely dry, I added a coat of Sephora by OPI Sample Sale (another mini from the Christmas set-- a perfect Christmassy red color), and before that dried, I dabbed little balls of saran wrap over top. I love this effect. I think it looks like velvet. It's still pretty dark, because the base color shows through, but the red shimmer is much stronger, and it doesn't look as brown. I probably could have achieved the same effect with a black base, tbh, but I liked the idea of using only red polishes, since that is the theme that I was going for. 

I think it gives my nails sort of an interesting duochrome-y effect. I love it!



Polishes used: 1 coat Revlon Colorstay Base Coat
2 coats SOPI I'm With Brad
1 coat Sally Hansen Insta-dry Topcoat (to speed up drying time)
1 coat SOPI Sample Sale & saran wrap effect
1 coat Sally Hansen Insta-dry Topcoat


Once this wears off in a few days, I'll be doing orange nails!
Stay tuned..
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment