Tuesday, November 27, 2012

31 Day Challenge - Day 8: Metallic

So, the idea I originally had for these nails was to use these four colors to create a fishtail braid manicure. I started on it and two colors in it was thick and forming little bubbles and it just looked like complete crap. So I took that off and started over. This is what I came up with in the end. I love it. It's very badass and superhero-y. At least thats what it looks like to me.


One of my original problems was that the dark grey/pewter color (Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous by OPI) I was using was too sheer to be a decent layering polish in only one coat. 

So I started off with a base color of LLM, and decided to improvise from there.
I forgot how much I love this color. It has a very strong silver-dark gray shift and has an almost grainy-looking texture. I can't tell you how much I wanted to pair this with a matte topcoat, but alas, I still don't own one. I thought if I did that, it might look a bit like the OPI suede polishes.

Also, it took three coats to be completely opaque, which was a bit annoying, but I can deal with it.

Oh well.
Look how cool the shift on this is, though.




So I decided to just use the other metallic colors I own to create overlapping chevron things. It's a bit hard to explain. I started like this


and then after that was dry, I did the silver, then the gold. 

I think they turned out great.



Pewter: OPI Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous (from the Swiss collection a couple years ago, I think)
Rose Gold: China Glaze Poetic
Silver: Sally Hansen Silver Sweep
Gold: China Glaze Passion

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I'm going to do for rainbow nails, so stay tuned, but they probably won't be up for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment